2016 Feature Review: Timelines and Autolayout
Reading time: about 2 min
Posted by: Lucid Content Team
Continuing our series on new Lucidchart features released in 2016, we would like to point out a new shape library and a new general feature that will improve your experience in Lucidchart: timelines and autolayout.
A timeline maker by Lucidchart
You requested, and we delivered! Lucidchart is now a timeline maker. Use timelines for project management, your personal schedule, or educational purposes. They can stand alone or accompany other charts and data for additional context.
Here are a few steps and pointers to get you started:
- Open the Shape Manager and add the timeline shape library to your toolbar.
- Drag a timeline onto the canvas.
- In the top toolbar, adjust the range and dates of your timeline labels. You can also format your labels and choose to turn them on or off.
- Drag an interval block onto your timeline. Adjust the length of the interval by lengthening the shape with your mouse, or adjust the time range using the top toolbar.
- Stack multiple timelines on top of each other to add rows to your timeline for separate teams or projects.
- Drag and drop milestones onto your timeline as desired.
Autolayout formats your diagrams so that you don’t have to spend extra time nudging your shapes around the canvas until they are placed just right.
To use autolayout:
- From the top toolbar, select Arrange > Auto Layout.
- Choose between “Grid” and “Hierarchy.”
Hierarchy autolayout is best for org charts and other diagrams that stack to show hierarchy. Grid autolayout squares corners and arranges shapes for any other type of diagram you may create.
Have you already used these features? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!
Start diagramming with Lucidchart today—try it for free!Sign up free
Lucidchart is the intelligent diagramming application that empowers teams to clarify complexity, align their insights, and build the future—faster. With this intuitive, cloud-based solution, everyone can work visually and collaborate in real time while building flowcharts, mockups, UML diagrams, and more.
The most popular online Visio alternative, Lucidchart is utilized in over 180 countries by more than 25 million users, from sales managers mapping out target organizations to IT directors visualizing their network infrastructure.