Lucidchart Supports Visio Stencils
Lucidchart is proud to announce that it now supports Visio stencils. We are the only web-based diagramming tool that supports Visio stencil files. In an effort to provide the best diagramming experience on the web, we added Visio stencil import to expand shapes beyond those available in our default libraries.
You can import shapes provided by other companies as long as they are formatted in the .vss extension; in other words, all the same libraries that can be opened in Microsoft Visio.
To import the stencils:
- Open a document and click on “More Shapes” from the left-hand toolbox.
- Click the “Import” button.
- Select the desired stencil (.vss or .vsx) from your computer files and upload.
- A new library will be created in your toolbox with the shapes from the stencil—simply drag and drop just like any other Lucidchart shape. This feature is available for Pro and Team accounts; if you are currently on another level, we encourage you to upgrade now to try this functionality. Also, since this feature is in beta, please let us know if you have any feedback.
What are Visio stencils?
Visio stencils are customized shape libraries that don’t come preloaded on Visio but have many useful applications. In certain cases these Visio stencils are created by third parties to promote the use of their product. Most information technology professionals find themselves searching for stencil libraries at some point in their career.
With our diagramming tool, you can create your own custom shape libraries and use them over and over again. You can also share your custom libraries with other team members. Not only does our diagramming tool support native Visio documents, it also allows you to upload Visio stencils, where they'll be treated as custom shape libraries. Check out the links below for actual Visio stencils you can import and use.
Popular stencil types
You may want to start off with these popular stencil types:
- Cisco Stencils - We already have Cisco basic and extended libraries, and more are added each day.
- Vmware Visio Stencils - A great resource for VMware stencils.
- Visio cloud shapes - If you’re looking for the Visio cloud shape, our diagram tool allows you to create popular Internet cloud shapes and export them to Visio. Whether you’re looking to create a network diagram or create a schema, Lucidchart is your premier Visio alternative.
Preview Lucidchart with a free trial. No credit card or download required.