SWOT Analysis Definition
SWOT analysis is a type of diagram that’s widely used in business and education. This chart is used for exploring strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in a given situation.
Lucidchart can help you create beautiful, effective SWOT analysis diagrams. Collaborate with others in real-time and add interactivity, all from a web browser.Try it now Sign up free
What is a SWOT analysis?
A SWOT analysis is a simple way to discover positive and negative factors in any context. Specifically, it’s a 4-quadrant diagram that identifies strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Creating a SWOT chart forces contributors to critically examine their circumstances and find out which obstacles must be overcome or minimized. A SWOT can also help determine steps that should be taken for short- and long-term success.
Tips on SWOT analysis
SWOT diagrams tend to be straightforward, but the process of filling them out may not be so simple. To get the most out of your chart, follow these helpful tips:
- Be realistic about the current state of your organization or problem. If you’re not sure whether something truly fits in its category, consult your team and leave the item off the list, if necessary.
- Remember that SWOT analyses are meant to evaluate the present, not the past or the future. While the Opportunities quadrant lets you think about possibilities, be sure to ground every detail in fact.
- Maintain the same level of specificity throughout the diagram. SWOT charts should be straightforward, so resist the urge to add too much detail. More information might be better suited to a report or presentation.
- Use a SWOT analysis as a guide, rather than a rulebook. The details of any SWOT diagram can be debated endlessly; what’s important is getting your team on the same page and moving forward with purpose.
How to make a SWOT analysis diagram in Lucidchart
Although you can create SWOT diagrams with pen and paper or a whiteboard, many experts prefer online software like Lucidchart. Web-based programs allow you to work in real-time with classmates or colleagues, access your diagram from any location, and easily publish to print or web format. Follow these steps to make simple SWOT diagrams in Lucidchart:
- Open this SWOT analysis chart template in Lucidchart or open up a blank document. If you choose to create your own, drag out the appropriate shapes and text boxes before proceeding.
- Edit the details of each quadrant by double-clicking and typing.
- To alter text formatting, select a text box by clicking it. Then choose formatting options from the properties bar at the top of the editor.
- To change color fill and other graphical properties, first select an object by clicking, or select multiple objects with Shift + click. Then choose from the options that appear in the properties bar or the graphic panel on the right side of the editor.
- Click the Share tab for publishing options, or select File > Download to save the document to your desktop.
With Lucidchart, you can easily create great-looking SWOT diagrams and other specialized charts. Online software takes away the hassle of upgrades and patches—try it and see for yourself!