UML Resource Page
Lucidchart is a great UML tool, so we wanted to create a UML resource page that's equally useful for first-time users. If you're an experienced user and think that something is missing here, please contact us.
Use your newfound understanding of UML to create important documentation. You'll find shapes and templates for all kinds of UML diagrams in Lucidchart.Try it now Sign up free
Structural Modeling Diagrams
Structural modeling diagrams are UML diagrams that describe the static features of a system. A structural model represents the generalized layout of a system. This model is where all other static elements exist. The class, component, object, and deployment diagrams are part of the structural model diagram family. They each represent an individual element of the greater whole.
- A class diagram visually represents the class model, a description of the classes, and objects in the system.
- A component diagram visually represents the component model, which describes the software and hardware components of a system.
- An object diagram focuses on some particular set of object instances and attributes and the links between the instances.
- A deployment diagram visually represents the physical deployment model, which describes the architecture and deployment of components on that architecture.
Behavioral Modeling Diagrams
Behavioral modeling diagrams are UML diagrams that describe the interactions of a system. A behavioral model represents the generalized dynamic nature of a system. The activity, timing, sequence, use case, state machine, and communication diagrams are all part of the of the larger whole which describes those interactions.
- An activity diagram is a graphical representation of the step-wise components in the business and operational workflows of a system.
- A sequence diagram is the UML diagram used to show the interactions between objects in sequential order.
- A timing diagram is a UML modeling tool that focuses on timing constraints.
- A use case diagram visually represents the boundary and interaction between a system and the system's users.
- A state machine diagram visually represents the different states of the various classes in the system over time.
- A communication diagram is a UML diagram that describes how several objects work together to execute a requirement.
Other Helpful UML Resources
- What is UML? - general introduction to UML theory
- UML Glossary - important terms in UML that a layperson may find unfamiliar
Start your Lucidchart trial here. No downloads or plugins required.