Flowcharts, a streamlined way to display information, are used in various industries and careers. A flowchart is made up of standard shapes and lines that communicate step-by-step processes. Lucidchart's flowchart software was created with you in mind. Create your diagram in Lucidchart and then easily use your diagrams to enrich your Word documents.
2 min read
Want to make a flowchart of your own? Try Lucidchart. It's quick, easy, and completely free.
Creating flowchart templates in Word
Flowcharts are an ideal way to break down any process into manageable sections and display them visually. Brush up on how to use a flowchart with this helpful guide. Although Microsoft Word wasn’t designed for image creation, its shapes and lines can also be used to make rudimentary flowcharts. This guide will show you several options for using Word to create flowchart diagram templates.
You’ll notice several pros and cons to using Word as a chart creation tool. While Microsoft Word allows you to add text boxes, alter shape and line color, and perform basic formatting tasks, the entire experience is static. With Lucidchart, elements are highly responsive; plus, you can add interactivity and collaborate with colleagues or friends.
Continue reading for three ways to create flowchart templates in Word.
How to make a flowchart template in Word
- Open a new document in Microsoft Word.
- Add a shape by selecting the Insert tab and clicking either SmartArt or Shapes.
If you select SmartArt:
- Choose the SmartArt graphic that will meet your needs.
- Add shapes and connect them with lines until your flowchart is complete.
If you choose Shapes:
- Click the shape you’d like to add, then click the page to see it pop up. Try clicking and dragging to set the shape’s height and width.
- Add and connect shapes until the flowchart is complete.
Diagramming is quick and easy with Lucidchart. Start a free trial today to start creating and collaborating.
Import your Lucidchart flowchart into Word
Open this flowchart template in Lucidchart or choose from another flowchart template.
Fill out the details on each step by double-clicking objects and typing.
Format text and color of shapes by selecting the shape and toggling options from the properties bar at the top of the page.
Save the diagram as a .PNG file by clicking File > Download As and selecting the .PNG option.
Open a Microsoft Word document, then click Insert > Pictures.
You now have a finished flowchart template that can be saved and published from Word.
Import a flowchart with Lucidchart's integration for Word
- Open this flowchart template in Lucidchart, or create a flowchart of your own.
- Edit text and chart appearance.
- Open a blank Microsoft Word document, then click on the “Store” in the Insert tab of the ribbon.
- Locate Lucidchart in the App Store and click the Add button.
- Select the "Insert Diagram" button in the Insert tab
- Select the flowchart diagram of your choice and click "Insert Diagram."