How to make a site map
Reading time: about 2 min
Posted by: Lucid Content Team
If you build or market websites, you should know how to make a site map. But many web professionals know nothing about site maps—primarily because there aren't many tools that make visual sitemaps. So we're happy to announce a new addition to Lucidchart: a free, easy-to-use sitemap maker. Instead of painstakingly building diagrams by hand, you can produce a beautiful finished document in a few minutes.
How to get started
- First, sign up for a free account.
- Open a new Lucidchart document and click “More Shapes”, then turn on the site map shape library.
- Drag and drop shapes from the toolbox to the canvas, then rearrange them as necessary. Additional options can be accessed from the pop-up context panel.
If you’d like to publish the document or collaborate in real-time with others, just click “Share” from the menu bar.
Site mapping features in Lucidchart
We've never had a dedicated site map tool before—instead, folks would use the org chart or flowchart shape libraries to build out basic maps. It worked well enough. But with the recent changes, users can build structured, interactive site maps faster than ever before. Nearly all of our site map features are contained within the handy context panel, which allows you to:
- Choose from 3 dozen sitemap shapes that encompass nearly every website element
- Drag and release to automatically structure parent-child relationships
- Instantly change the layout type without losing information
- Clean up the layout with a single click
- Quickly add a URL to any sitemap element
- Switch shapes with the click of a button
We hope you enjoy the new sitemap tool! As this is a new feature, we welcome your honest feedback—sound off in the comments.
Start diagramming with Lucidchart today—try it for free!Sign up free
Lucidchart is the intelligent diagramming application that empowers teams to clarify complexity, align their insights, and build the future—faster. With this intuitive, cloud-based solution, everyone can work visually and collaborate in real time while building flowcharts, mockups, UML diagrams, and more.
The most popular online Visio alternative, Lucidchart is utilized in over 180 countries by millions of users, from sales managers mapping out target organizations to IT directors visualizing their network infrastructure.