How to Make a Venn Diagram in Word
Reading time: about 4 min
Posted by: Lucid Content Team
Venn diagrams use circles and text to help you compare, contrast, and recognize relationships between ideas, products, and even sets of data. In theory, creating two overlapping circles should be easy. But when you add three or even four circles to the mix and you want to include your Venn diagram within a Word document, it starts to get a bit more complicated. Follow this step-by-step guide to learn two approaches to making a Venn diagram in Word.
Option #1: Use Lucidchart to quickly add a Venn diagram to Word
Option #2: Use Word to manually make a Venn diagram
Option #1: Use Lucidchart to add a Venn diagram directly to MS Word
Word is an apt name for Microsoft’s leading word processor because that’s what the program handles best. But as soon as you go beyond words to gather, share, and compare ideas, Word reaches its limit and lacks the functionality you need to create an easy-to-understand Venn diagram. Luckily, Lucidchart fully integrates with Microsoft Office, making it a cinch to add a Venn diagram to your document.
How to install the Lucidchart add-in for Word
To start, you’ll need to download the Lucidchart add-in for Word. Follow these simple steps:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Go to Insert > My add-ins > Store.
- Find and select “Lucidchart Diagrams for Word.”
- Click “Add.”
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Sign in to your Lucidchart account to access your diagrams.
How to insert a Venn diagram into Word with the add-in
To insert your Venn diagram as a high-resolution image into Word, follow these steps:
- In Word, find the Lucidchart add-in button in the upper-right corner.
- Click “Insert Diagram.”
- Select your Venn diagram.
- Click “Insert.”
To edit your Venn diagram, select “Edit.” Make the changes in the Lucidchart editor, and then repeat steps 2 through 4 to insert your updated diagram.
How to create a Venn diagram in Word with the Lucidchart add-in
Access the Lucidchart editor with the add-in to build and edit your Venn diagram, while never leaving Word.
- In Word, select the Lucidchart “Insert Diagram” button.
- Click “Create a New Diagram” to open the Lucidchart editor.
- Get started with either a blank document or a template.
- Drag and drop shapes and add text to create your Venn diagram.
- Once finished, save the diagram and close the editor.
- Select your new Venn diagram from the Lucidchart panel.
- Click “Insert.”
If you need additional help installing and using the Lucidchart add-in, visit our Help Center or watch the brief video tutorial below.
Option #2: Make a Venn diagram in Word using the shape library or SmartArt
To manually make a Venn diagram, you will have to use either the shape library or SmartArt in MS Word. But keep in mind that each option requires attention to detail and patience to align multiple shapes and text. You also won’t be able to use any pre-made templates.
How to make a Venn diagram using the shape library in MS Word
- In Word, go to Insert > Illustrations > Shapes. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Add shapes and lines from the shape library to build your Venn diagram.
- Add text with a text box. Go to Insert > Text > Text box.
- Move shapes and text boxes to create your Venn diagram.
- Save your document.
How to make a Venn diagram using SmartArt graphics in MS Word
- In Word, go to Insert > Illustrations > SmartArt. A pop-up window will open.
- Go to Relationship > Basic Venn. Click “OK.”
- Double-click “Text” to modify the text or use the text pane.
- Select the graphic, and click “Add Shape” to make your Venn diagram larger.
- Once finished, save the document.
Venn diagram examples
Uncover hidden relationships between topics, ideas, and more when you give one of our venn diagram templates a try. Just click the template to open it in with your Lucidchart account and start editing.
Choose Lucidchart to create a Venn diagram in Word
Save yourself the time and hassle from trying to connect and align all the shapes and text you need, and use Lucidchart instead. With numerous Venn diagram templates, easy-to-use tools, and an intuitive interface, Lucidchart helps you diagram like a pro.
Build your own Venn diagram when you give Lucidchart a shot now.
Start diagramming with Lucidchart today—try it for free!Sign up free
Sign up to get the latest Lucidchart updates and tips delivered to your inbox once a month.Subscribe to our newsletter
Lucidchart is the intelligent diagramming application that empowers teams to clarify complexity, align their insights, and build the future—faster. With this intuitive, cloud-based solution, everyone can work visually and collaborate in real time while building flowcharts, mockups, UML diagrams, and more.
The most popular online Visio alternative, Lucidchart is utilized in over 180 countries by millions of users, from sales managers mapping out target organizations to IT directors visualizing their network infrastructure.