Google Docs has long been my go-to program for writing and editing papers on the fly. But what if you want more? Google Apps is touted as an all-in-one productivity solution, so we've responded with a helpful diagram add-on. Now anyone can add Lucidchart diagrams to a Google Doc in a few clicks!
Why it matters
Google Docs isn't just for late-night college papers—millions of schools and businesses use Docs to communicate with teammates, partners, professors, and clients. Inserting a diagram adds a level of professionalism to your work; plus, your memo or report will be more comprehensive.
Users can add flowcharts, org charts, Venn diagrams, mind maps, and any other type of chart to a Google Doc. Our add-on also allows you to create a new diagram from the Google Docs environment! So instead of opening a new tab, drawing the chart, downloading it, and uploading the image file, try the add-on instead.
- Open a Google Doc.
- Click Add-on menu, then select “Get Add-ons”.
- Find the Lucidchart listing and click to add. This is the first and only time you have to hunt down the listing; in the future, it will appear directly below the Add-ons tab.
- A dialog will appear. Click "Accept" to grant Lucidchart access to Google Docs.
- Click "Get Started" in the sidebar that appears.
- Grant Google access to your Lucidchart documents. Your diagrams will appear in the sidebar.
Using the add-on after set-up
Now that you've set up the add-on, inserting and creating diagrams is simple:
- Open a Google Doc.
- Click the Add-ons tab, then select Lucidchart Diagrams > Insert Diagram. A sidebar will appear, giving you three options: Create, Insert, or Edit.
- Choose the option that best fits your needs.
Frequently asked questions
Can I share from Google Docs? No, but you can click your email address in the sidebar to share from Lucidchart. You can also edit user settings, alter subscription level, contact customer support, and manage diagrams from here.
Is it possible to connect any Lucidchart account to any Google account? Yes! Your Lucidchart account does not need to correspond to your Google account and vice-versa.
How will my diagram look in the Google Doc? Diagrams should look crisp and clear. They'll automatically size to the width of the page, and you may resize the image by dragging its corners.
What about multi-page documents? If your Lucidchart document has more than one page, use the arrows in the sidebar preview to find the right page. You can only select and insert the contents of one page at a time.
Can I update inserted diagrams? Yes—just click the Add-ons tab and select Lucidchart Diagrams > Update Inserted Diagrams. The images will automatically reflect any changes you've made. This only works if you're the document owner.