Timelines provide you with an accessible, visual way to understand past events or form a plan. And Lucidchart provides the timelines.
In Lucidchart, students and educators can create powerful visual aids to understand the chronology of fictional plotlines, historical events, or the natural world. But timelines don’t lose their value once you’re out of the academic setting. Project managers can replace their Gantt charts and instead use timelines to display deadlines and important milestones.
Need to pair your timeline with the rest of your data? Not a problem. Thanks to our integrations, you can easily insert your timeline into Excel or other Microsoft Office programs. Plan ahead or study more efficiently by learning how to make a timeline in Excel with Lucidchart.
Steps to create a timeline in Excel
1. If you haven’t already, sign up for your free Lucidchart account!
2. Open a blank canvas or one of our customizable templates included below.
Note: This template uses our timeline shape library, which is only available for Lucidchart Pro, Team, and Enterprise accounts. If you are interested in upgrading your subscription, see our pricing page.
3. Adjust the dates and milestones on the template to fit your project. If you’re using the timeline shape library, you can adjust dates and format using the advanced shape menu at the top of the Lucidchart editor. The timeline shape library also includes interval blocks and milestones that you can drop into your timeline.
If you’d like to build your timeline from scratch on a blank canvas, watch the video below to see the basic functionality of Lucidchart and get started.
4. Install the Lucidchart add-on for Microsoft Excel. Go directly to the Microsoft Store, or in Excel, select Insert > Office Add-ins. Search for Lucidchart in the marketplace, and click “Add” to install. The add-on will appear as a sidebar in Excel.
5. Once you’ve connected your Lucidchart account, select the timeline from your existing diagrams and click “Insert.”
Now that you know how to create a timeline in Excel using Lucidchart, you can get your life in (chronological) order. Sign up for your free account today, and see how else you can learn and work visually.